The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity,
Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through
various activities and functions.
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho
Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The purpose of The University of Alabama Chapter of NATIONAL PAN-HELLENIC COUNCIL shall be to foster cooperative actions of its members in dealing with matters of mutual concern. To this end, the
NPHC promotes the well being of its affiliate fraternities and sororities, facilitates the establishment and development of local organizations within the NPHC and provides leadership training for